- 4-8 pieces of chicken, skinned
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced finely
- 1/2 cup or dry white wine
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- pinch of sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- salt and pepper
- 400g canned artichoke hearts, cut into halves
- 1/2 can of black pitted olives
Rub your chicken pieces with the lemon. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes. Add the chicken pieces for 5 minutes, or until browned on all sides. We had about 6 pieces of chicken, we just hadn't added them yet.
Add the wine and the tomatoes with their juice, the sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, salt and pepper, and bring it to a boil. Now cover and let it simmer on medium heat for 45 minutes to an hour. You want the chicken to be tender. If medium heat is too high you can turn it down a bit.
Ten minutes before the chicken is supposed to be finished add the olives and the halved artichoke hearts. Cook for the last 10 minutes then serve it hot! Enjoy this excellent Greek dish!
Have a great week everyone!