Monday, December 5, 2011

Spiced Carrot and Flax Muffins

I found this recipe in a canadian living magazine and I couldn't wait to make it! I love flax and how great it is for us...I also love carrot muffins. This recipe promised me a good, yummy combination of the two, so I was excited. Also..you all know how crazy I am about muffins! ;)  So here we go!
(it has been modified from the original recipe...but not my much)

-1/3 cup olive oil
-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
-2 eggs
-1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
-2 cups of grated carrots
-1 3/4 cup of flour
-1/3 cup of oats
-1/3 cup ground flax seeds
-2 1/4 tsp ground ginger
-1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
-2 1/2 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-pinch of ground cloves
-2 tsps flaxseeds

Step one:
In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar. Whisk in the eggs and apple sauce. Stir in the carrots.

(Bowl with muffin batter, my compost bowl and the canadian living recipe open on my bucket of flour!haha)

This is the joyfull kitchen while in baking mode. I had 2 bowls of bread dough rising(on the stove) and I was making muffins too! I love days like these..
Back to the muffins>


Step two:
 In a separate bowl mix together the flour, oats, ground flaxseeds, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cloves.

Step three:
Stir into the carrot mixture just until combined.
Step four:
 Spoon into 12 paper lined muffin cups. I used Christmas muffins cups...because I'm feeling festive!  Sprinkle them with flax seeds.

Step five:
Bake at 350F (180C) for 25 minutes. Make sure the tops are firm to touch. Transfer to your wire rack and let cool! Enjoy!
xo have a great day friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment